Valle Forge

Valle Forge
I missed! Great place to run!

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Easy For the Good Runner - 2007

It’s Always Easy for the “Good” Runners

A couple months ago Tony approached me about writing an article on the GMS track workouts for the newsletter.  It’s a good thing he used e-mail.  My initial reaction would have frozen him solid.  I couldn’t shake the idea out of my mind and eventually warmed up to the idea.  I drafted the article and found that it really had nothing at all to do with track workouts.  It’s what “good” runners do, they block out bad memories. 

While running the Dallas Half, I managed to pick-up on a conversation from a couple of spectators.  Something like this….  Who is that?  They were going so fast I couldn’t tell!  It couldn’t have been Spare Ribs, the shoes were not flashy enough!  Dude, they are flying.  It’s always easy for the “good” runners. 

It’s always easy for the “good” runners?   I’m not sure what counts as a good runner.  On that day, maybe I qualified as good.  It’s not about speed or the number of completed events that determines a good runner.  It’s the ritual of running.  It’s sacrifice (giving up french fries and coke), keeping the faith in adversity (the early morning run when it’s below freezing and the wind chill steals the air from your lungs), and finding humor in stupid things. 

I didn’t think I qualified as a good runner when I DNF’d Rocky Racoon after 78 miles and having zombie walked the last four miles, or when I lost focus on the trail and had to use my kung fu death grip on a helpless sapling during the Sylamore 50K, or during my one and only Bengay Butt Run in Fort Worth.  Today, I think of those efforts as being a “good” runner.  I learned valuable lessons and developed a couple of fun stories to tell.  It’s always what a “good” runner does.

It’s always easy for the “good” runners, hmmmm.  In July 2003 I started running.  To be honest, I would not classify it as running by my standards today.  Because my neighborhood has too many hills, I went to the trail head a Bear Creek Park in Keller.  I figured I’d do an out and back to the hockey rink, it was only four miles, any one could do that.  Yeah right.  I managed to make it to the half mile mark.  I turned and walked slowly back to the car.  What did I gain from the effort?  Sore feet, a headache, several concerned looks, and one “Can I help you?”  Some folks would say I was a lousy runner that day, I certainly did.  Today, I think of that effort as being a “good” runner.  I kept going in spite of the horrendous start.  It’s always what a “good” runner does. 

After the stellar break-out performance, I eventually managed to run (let’s call it slowly jog) to the hockey rink and back after many weeks of effort.  I thought I was Flash Gordon when I broke 9 minute mile pace.  It’s always what “good” runners do; we set goals and celebrate milestones.  I worked up to the ball fields past Highway 377, and on and on until my first ever running event (Cowtown Marathon in February 2004, you know, the one without sports drink).  A 3:56.  I hurt the entire month of March.  My “training program” consisted of 20-30 miles a week and one 18 mile long run.  I don’t think I even new where a track existed and I avoided hills at all possible costs.
In April 2004 I had the idea I could do this marathon thing a little better.  I targeted White Rock and started reading about running.  Who knew there were books, magazines, and even web sites about running?  I even found out that the DFW area had a least a half dozen running stores.  Right away I added weekly miles, alternated hill repeats and track sessions on a weekly basis, and added 2-3 mile pick-ups during two runs each week.  In October I was running six 3:30 minute 800 intervals.  I became aware of the Boston qualifier times and thought why not?  By the end of November I was running ten 3:10 minute 800’s.  I BQ’d at White Rock with a 3:14 and have since gone on to break 3 hours.  It’s what “good” runners do, set unrealistic goals and somehow manage to achieve them.  Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the results came from lots and lots of hill repeats and track intervals.   

Back to Tony’s request: Track workouts.  The worst part is going around and around all by your lonesome.  Find a few buddies and get out there as a group!  I couldn’t give adequate justice to the benefits of track workouts.  If you’re the scientific type, go read the big words in the many articles and books on the subject, you wouldn’t believe me.  If you’re the adventurous type, a Nervous Nelly, or a Doubting Tom, come out to one of the weekly sessions and see for yourself.  One thing is certain; having company on the oval makes the workout easier and faster.  No need to be concerned with your skill level or that you will be out-classed, we’re all just glad to have the company.  There will be those clocking 2:30 800’s, and others doing 4:30 800’s.  Maybe you’re into 400’s, ladders, long repeats, up-tempo, or coasting a few easy miles.  It doesn’t matter.  We focus on our own progress and celebrate the successes of others.  It’s what a “good” runner does.

The good news is we solved the having company problem for you.  There is a group of folks that meet for a track session on Tuesdays, 5:00 pmish, at Grapevine Middle School.  Some come early (4:30 pmish) and some stay late (7:00 pmish) depending on the number of repeats.  Four things we always manage to do:  Have a great attitude (including Mindi and Polar Bear), have fun, be there for each other, and make one another’s day.  Looking forward to seeing you on the oval!

No comments:

Post a Comment