Valle Forge

Valle Forge
I missed! Great place to run!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Score One for the Heat

From July 2012

Well there always has to be a first time.  The DC area is finally having their
heat wave (Late July 2012).  Thursday through Sunday the heat index is projected to be in the
105-115 range.  Unfortunately this overlapped my final long mileage training
weekend.  Undeterred or exceedingly careless, take your pick, I decided to forge
ahead with the plan.  The Friday afternoon schedule:  20 miles - 25 if I felt
good.

It's just before 3pm, hot and humid.  I'm having second thoughts.  Cut it
short.  Only do 10.  What do I do?  Put a smile on my face, try to be positive,
tell myself my TX buddies have been doing this all summer, you can handle the
heat.  So off I go.  Running on as much shaded trail as possible.  Drinking
plenty of fluids (more than ever).  Running slow (slower than ever).  Taking
electrolyte caps every 30 minutes.


4 miles in and a bee stings my right calf.  Not one to complain, I shooed the
beast away.  It only served to piss the little bugger off as it nailed my right
thigh.  Still smiling with a little teeth grinding and a SOB whisper, I swatted
at the creature.  I swear the thing was six inches long.  Now it's really
unhappy.  I managed to whack it with the water bottle and sprint ahead, damage
to right leg done.


Still undeterred I finished the full 20 miles.  Plenty of fluid (90-100
ounces and 4-5 full body rinse downs at water fountains).  Felt fine at the car
and headed out to find something to eat.


I settled on a Chipotle near the hotel.  I'm standing in line and getting really
annoyed at this lady that keeps adding on to her order and correcting items -
it's taking forever.  Just as I order my mind is telling me to, "Go sit
down!"  I'm like why, I need to get my food first.  The lady is still getting
extra chips and salsa.  I start to feel my body temp go up, head is burning hot,
and I'm getting a cold sweat.  I hear the voice again, "You better go sit
down!!!"  Still, I'm like you are almost there, pay, get a drink, then sit
down.  I pay for the food.  As I reach out for the tray I notice a little bit of
light headiness and my hands are trembling just a little.  The first available
table is open and I do my best to steer myself in that direction.  "I'm going to
make the table!"  Wrong.  Instead I fainted (first time ever).  Fell towards and
over a half wall right before the table.

Next thing I know there is a worker on each arm helping me to a chair.  They are
asking if I need an ambulance and what they can get me.  I got to say there was
about a 30 second window where in spite of the fainting I felt pretty good.  A
really nice relaxed feeling.  The feeling quickly changed to unberable heat and
exhaustion.  I found myself sitting in a pool of sweat sipping on a coke.  After
about ten minutes I found myself shaking from the cold.  After about 45 minutes
I finally managed to eat some food, finish a couple drinks, and make my way back
to the hotel.


As for now, I'm planning on skipping the two Saturday 20 milers and only doing 1
Sunday 20 miler.  I'm really disappointed because the run part of the Friday
afternoon run went well.  It's what happened 20 minutes later that spoiled all
the fun.  Oh well, it's what running is all about.  Finding new and improved
ways to mistreat the body.  Did I ever mention runners are nuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment